Sail Ubuntu’s adventure-filled charters are perfect learning getaways for scouts, youth groups and college students. Explore a different culture, learn about sailing and the sea, and discover the beauty of a tropical paradise.
Each day brings new opportunities for sailing, snorkeling, swimming, or paddle boarding and running or playing on soft white sand beaches. Out-island excursions allow you to discover the uniqeness each cay presents.
While snorkeling, you will experience a wide variety of marine reef life, which we will help you identify. For those new to the ocean, we will provide instruction on snorkeling and feeling secure while in the water.
You will learn how to read the variations of the water colors to determine the terrain and depths. Weather plays a critical role for life aboard a sailboat. Finding weather resources and learning how to read the local cloud formations (for instance, what makes a cloud green) are other skills we cover.
Observing the star-filled skies at night gives you an opportunity to identify constellations. You will see the Milky Way and shooting stars. It is an inspiring way to wind down and appreciate the beauty of our incredible world.
We will show you how alternative energy and resources are used on board, and how our habits affect our world. Many do not realize that around 70 percent of our oxygen comes from the ocean! You can help reverse the damage of plastic entering the ocean by doing a group cleanup of one of the beaches along the way. Every bit helps.
Experience our amazing watery world in some of the most beautiful waters in the world!
Student Group Specifics
Our Student Groups charter will allow you to participate in sailing, learn the names of fish and coral as you snorkel, and explore the out-islands as you work on your tan. There will be ample time for paddle boarding, swimming and other fun activities. The focus is on a unique learning experience.
You will be responsible for preparing your meals, cleanup, and keeping the boat shipshape while having a great time. We provision your food and drinks prior to your arrival so we get underway in a timely fashion to maximize your time in the islands.
Provisioning is based on your downloadable Ubuntu Preference Form and email communications. Our produce will include a selection of the freshest fruits and vegetables along with choice fish, meats and cheese. We enjoy fresh, healthy, flavorful cuisine, so you won’t be disappointed.
This charter accommodates a maximum of 6 university students. It accommodates 8 for groups of youth under 18 with 1 or 2 adult leaders. Should you have a larger group, let us know, as we partner with other sailboats for large groups.
- This is an active program so you should be in good physical condition and health.
- You should be comfortable swimming if planning to snorkel (we do provide inflatable snorkeling vests along with snorkel gear).
- You will utilize a rigid swim ladder when getting back on the boat from in the water.
- You will be getting in and out of the rigid floor tender from the boat and shore.
- For your safety, we cannot accept participants who weigh more than 300 lbs.
Sleeping arrangements and gear stowage are by mutual agreement of your party. You can sleep on sun beds in our covered cockpit, under the stars on the forward nets, or in the two cabins, each with a double bed-size berth. Bring a sleeping bag, a small pillow, inflatable mat, and beach towel for each guest. We provide pillows for groups of 6 or less.
Although you are in the tropics, the breeze in the evenings can cool you down in the winter and spring, so it helps being prepared so you sleep comfortably.
We have quality snorkeling gear, 2 paddleboards and water noodles for your enjoyment. If you wish to ensure a perfect fit for snorkeling, by all means bring your own gear. During winter and early spring, we recommend you bring or rent a shorty or full-length wetsuit.
If you are an avid fisher, you may use our rod and reel. Bring your favorite lures or you can purchase bait here.
We ferry you via our tender from our anchorages to snorkeling sites and land. We will provide hands-on sailing experience to those interested and assistance with reef snorkeling. We want your experience to be one of growth as well as fun!
$198 per youth per night (min. 6 youth, 1 adult)
5 nights – $ 990 per person
6 nights – $1188 per person
7 nights – $1386 per person
There is a 15% rate increase from December 20 – January 10.
What Is Included
- In December, January and February, your charter will begin and end in Nassau, New Providence, in the central Bahamas.
- In March through mid-July your charter begins and ends in Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco, in the northern Bahamas.
- An optional Abaco airport is at Treasure Cay. We can pick you up and drop you off at Treasure Cay Marina for an additional $300 fee.
- Yacht, captain and 1st mate are included.
- Cruising permits, fishing permits, fuel, provisions, water, juices, ice, and final night’s dockage are included.
- The 4% Bahamas charter guest tax is included.
Payment & Cancellation Policy
INQUIRIES AND BOOKING: We will answer your questions within 24 hours unless unavailable due to lack of wifi connectivity while on a charter. You may also text/call our USA number 360.224.9202.
PAYMENT: We require a 50% deposit once dates are confirmed. Remember advance reservations guarantee your preferred dates. Full payment of the balance is due 60 days before your departure date. If reserving your trip less than 60 days prior to departure, we require that you pay in full.
CANCELLATION: Cancellations due to a hurricane or tropical storm will receive a full refund. All other cancellations are non-refundable unless there is sufficient time to rebook the dates for which the deposit was placed. A 10% booking and administration fee will apply. If there is uncertainty of any kind, trip insurance is a solution.
- Upon leaving for the airport, my first instinct was to turn and run straight back to the boat. Even in less than a week, you two made me feel as if Ubuntu was my home on the sea. Your warmth and hospitality floored me – it takes a uniquely compassionate family to open their home to (eight loud and hungry) strangers. ~ Margaret
- My son and I had the pleasure of sailing on Ubuntu as part of a Boy Scout Sea Base crew. I wouldn’t call our trip on Ubuntu a once in a lifetime experience – BECAUSE I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. ~ Rob
- Thank you for welcoming the Barracuda Patrol in to your home. You are extremely gracious hosts and a wonderful couple. Your knowledge and eagerness to share is to be commended. You have exceeded all of our expectations and made many dreams come true. Thank you again and smooth sailing and full sails for many years to come. Most joyfully... ~ Thaddeus and the Barracuda Patrol
Lighthouses, light blues and lovely views 🌴 . . . . . . . . #bahamas #charter #ocean #lighthouse #sea #paradise #view #horizon #island #pearlisland #nassau #travel #adventure #explore #snorkel #vacation #wanderlust #blue #saltlife #boatlife #dream #palmtree #beautiful #nature #sunny #summer #love #life #reef #snorkel
A post shared by Sail Ubuntu (@sailubuntu) on